Sunday, October 25, 2009

Shaolin Monks


Last night I went with my friend Yoosh to see the Shaolin Monks perform at George Mason. It was awesome. There were about 20 monks, including two little boys who couldn't have been more than 9. They performed their martial art to a soundtrack of chanting and drums, hitting, kicking, and spinning incredibly fast. The two little boys each did a series of front flips, like 6 in a row, without using their hands.

They also had a part which in my mind I call the Frogger Dance. The entire thing was done while the monks where on their hands and feet, and then they'd crawl, run, and jump amazing heights from that awkward crouched position. Those guys have to have thigh muscles the size of cannonballs.

At one point, they went out into the audience and brought up about 30 kids, ranging from college age to a 5 year old boy that was adorable. They put them in rows, smallest to tallest, and tried to teach them a series of Shaolin moves. Hilarity ensued. My favorite were some of the little kids, who were trying so hard to kick their hands that they fell over.

UPDATE: I mean, look at these dudes!


No comments: