Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Salt Mines

The salt mines were my favorite part of the trip. They've been in operation since the 1100s, and we had to climb down 378 steps just to get to the starting point. The walls are all salt rock, and you're allowed to lick them and see how salty they are.



The miners carved all kinds of cool things into the salt, including this massive chapel, where even the chandeliers are made of rock salt, and the walls are decorated with carved frescoes of Christ's life.




They mines are also full of water, and now instead of mining the salt they collect and refine the water, which is heavily saturated. There's a point where they let you try drinking some of the water as its coming out of the pipe. I collected some in my hand, drank it, and it was so salty I almost gagged. After I finished choking and making funny faces I noticed one of the guides watching me with this expression that said "Well what did you expect dummy?"

The mines were awesome. The best thing to see in Poland.

No comments: