Monday, August 21, 2006

Sneaky Taffy

Who makes a brown, target dyed (with red bullseye center) salt water taffy and then makes it licorice flavor?
Is not brown the universal color for chocolate? Or possibly root beer? Orange tasted like orange, and yellow green tasted like some form of citrus, so I'm baffled at this skull duggery on the part of the chesapeake bay tourist taffy conglomerate. Did they just run out of black dye? Perhaps they have a hidden camera somewhere, and evil employees are watching with glee as I pop in a tasty treat, only to have it turn into a jaw-sticking molasses mess of nastiness. Have you ever noticed the way licorice flavor fumes creep their way up into your nasal cavity, embedding deeply in various soft tissues along the way so that all the water in the office will not wash them away? These are the thoughts that perplex me.

What can I say? Work is slow and there is deceptive taffy available in the kitchen.
Also there's a bit of a dent in the ice machine for some strange reason.

Update: DFL adds her two cents to the great Taffy conspiracy. "Curse you incognito licorice taffy! You should always be black, the color of your perverted soul!"

She also wonders if taffy smells, and if I should invest in a taffy taste tester.

DFL gets a bonus point for alliteration on that one.

Update: Does taffy smell? Hold that thought. I need to run... hobble to the kitchen to get some more research subjects.

Nuts, only orange and white ones left. IT is hanging out at my station. This is putting a bit of a damper on my experiment.
Will proceed with taffy sniffing when coast is clear.

Also, I shouldn't need a taste tester. I should be able to trust in the ancient universal code of food coloring color coding!

Update: All right, both white and orange smell vaguely licorice-y. Although I think that's the default smell coming from the wrapper, because now that they've been unwrapped for awhile, they don't smell at all.

Bonus: Taffy is a great surface for leaving clear fingerprints.

Update: DFL says "well that's not a bonus if you're the one leaving fingerprints." Here's my rebuttal on the use of taffy as a fingerprinting device.

Yes but if I wanted to get someone fingerprints, I could use the elc (evil licorice coilition) taffy. I'd say, here's some taffy and they'd think "hmm it's brown and therefore chocolate." but after eating a bite, they'd realize it's evil licorice and put the rest down. Then I'd have their print.

Unless they're like me and pop the whole thing in their mouths at once. Destroy the evidence!!

Update: Orange still tastes like orange. White tastes like sweet. It's probably supposed to be vanilla, but it tastes like chewy sugar. So I think this experiment conclusively proves that smelling the taffy will not save you from hidden licorice taffy. Be warned! Stay vigilant!!

2 comments:

W.W. said...

It has been my experience that white taffy always taste minty. What is up with this vanilla and the bullseye licroce flavor started several years ago. It threw me for a loup for a while. Whats up with the dent in the ice machine or should I not ask?

corbeau said...

I felt the need for a lot of ice water in a futile attempt to wash away the vile licorice flavor.

It didn't really work.

I thought green was mint.