Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Classical tidbit

I'm currently reading "Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad. I've read the book before in jr. high, and that I can vaguely recall as being creepy. Hopefully I get a bit more out of it this time around. I particularly liked this little passage.

I watched the coast. Watching a coast as it slips by the ship is like thinking about an enigma.
There it is before you--smiling, frowning, inviting, grand, mean, insipid, or savage, and
always mute with an air of whispering, 'Come and find out.'

This is true. This curious feeling of watching a strange coast is one of the things I miss most about the Navy.

5 comments:

W.W. said...

I dont think I have a boat in my arsenal for you, but if I did you could borrow it.

corbeau said...

Would it be an invisible boat? Because that could make navigation a little difficult.

W.W. said...

Have you not seen Die Another Day? You could totally have navigation and still be invisible.

corbeau said...

Obviously I'm lacking in James Bond cred. But you'll notice that Wonder Woman has evolved to the point where she just flies, and no longer favors invisible transportation. After all, sucking birds into jet engines is not the amazon way.

W.W. said...

Yes you are, but WW can telaport now and doesnt need her jet, only when she wants to take the scenic route and get away from every one.