Saturday, November 22, 2008

Bad Week

This week, actually, on Thursday, every perk I became eligible for at work was denied. Including a raise. I was counting on it, especially since it had all been approved until it reached my boss's boss's boss.

I've only met the man once, but apparently he hates me.

Actually, the most aggravating thing about all this is that it has nothing to do with me or my work performance and everything to do with some bizarre turf war with admin. Which got bad enough that I was just waiting for an email telling me that my Christmas vacation request had been denied.

"Not your vacation" my friend helpfully pointed out, "It'll be an email telling you that you have to work Thanksgiving and Christmas!"

Which reminded me of my worst Thanksgiving EVAH:

Corbeau Story Time

When I was in the Navy and was stationed at Norfolk, I pulled duty on Thanksgiving. I didn't mind too much. I didn't know anyone in the area, didn't have any family in the area, and didn't have a car.

So basically, I had no where to go and no way to get there.

What I didn't realize was that they would cancel all food service on Thanksgiving so that the galley workers could be at home with their families. Since I was on watch, I wasn't allowed to leave the base, and since this was the Thanksgiving after 9/11 the base wasn't allowing deliveries.

This led to the first and only, Corbeau's Vending Machine Thanksgiving. An entire day of ho hos and chips.

It got better though. Around ten that night, one of the other girls who usually stood that watch brought me some Thanksgiving dinner leftovers. They tasted amazing.

1 comment:

tiff said...

Oh my goodness! Vending Machine Thanksgiving....you rock. I hope this last one was a little better!