Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Smingus Dyngus

I have a friend that went on a mission to Poland. On Monday, she invited a bunch of us over to celebrate the Polish holiday of Smingus Dyngus, where Poland has a national water fight the Monday after Easter.

You're thinking she made it up, aren't you?

I did! But I Googled it and found out it really happens.

Apparently the wetter you get the more blessings you have for the year. Of course, on Monday it was freezing here, and I can't imagine that Poland is somehow warmer than Virginia, so it seems a little crazy.

I was the only one with a water gun, which gave me the range weapon. Combined with my trout-fu I didn't even get wet. The others had two liter bottles, pitchers, and (my personal favorite) a kitchen pot full of water.

It was really cold.

Once everyone had emptied their containers we went back inside and watched Finding Nemo (water movie).

I think my favorite part of Smingus Dyngus was a toss-up between the hostage negotiation over a bag of cookies, and when my friend chased one of her roommates down the street yelling "Smingus Dyngus!" with her 2 liter Coke bottle of water.

5 comments:

W.W. said...

That is hilarious. Did anyone take pictures?

kyo said...

hey girl. here's something a quality ninja will appreciate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f86qKQJg3Z8

corbeau said...

There were pictures, but not by me. I'll see if I can get a hold of some.

corbeau said...

Kyo, where on earth did you find that? It was very clever.

kyo said...

it was courtesy of the master of cleverness, the almighty maria-san