Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Its Wretched HOT!

A story to help warm my poor cold family members stuck in the snowy West.

The weather in Virginia has decided to shake things up a bit by jumping right into summer. No gradual spring thaw, that's for sissies. What we need is July. July hit on Friday, and temperatures having been hanging out above 80 ever since, giving us a chance to realize that something has gone horribly wrong with our AC.

But beyond sweaty, personal discomfort, the unusually high temperatures have wreaked havoc with the local vegetation. The plants are freaking out. In my head, they sound like this.
"Wait? Where did Spring go? We slept through SPRING?!! Ohmygosh! Whatwedo!Whatwedo!Whatwedo?! POLLINATE!!"

Now everything is covered in a thick yellowish-green powder. Every time I walk across the parking garage at my work, I look at the floor and all I can think of is my high school algebra class, where the board and teacher existed in their own personal cloud of chalk. Every time I open my car door, there's a dramatic swirl of yellow-green, like I'm living in a bad Sci-Fi movie. Its crazy. My nose has entered a permanently sneezing/dripping state, but I'm still better off than most people with allergies. Some of them are really sick.

I went to Krav last night, and it turns out the dojo is also having trouble getting their AC up and running to July capacities. I think I sweated out about 3 gallons worth of water. Today, I went and invested in some under armor workout gear. It wicks the sweat away! After drilling for the first half hour, we learned some new self defense moves which required a grab. That was interesting given how slippery everyone was at the point. Our instructor pointed out that learning how to fight/grab someone who was slippery was good training. After all, you could always get attacked in the rain. Or fight when bloody. Or when you just happen to be REALLY sweaty.

It was fun.

No comments: