Monday, May 05, 2008

New York Trip Report--Friday

Friday—

We took a bus from Arlington and got into Manhattan around 1 in the afternoon. I suggest using the bathroom on the bus, because trying to find a toilet around Madison Square Gardens is a little scary.

We got to our hotel, and discovered a lovely gift basket, with candy, bottled water, nuts, all kinds of goodies. There was also a note, stating that there were sensors in the basket, and that if you picked up anything for longer than 20 seconds, it would be automatically added to your account. This caused some concern, since one of the packets of M&M’s was off its sensor.

“Just wait,” BSA warned, “That sucker’s going to show up on our bill.”

We made our way down to the Ninja restaurant. You get into this elevator, and when it opens, everything’s dark. A ninja with a sword jumps out and high-yas at you. Then he says “Welcome to Ninja. I will guide you to my village. Would you like to take the shortcut, or the secret ninja passageway?”

We voted for the passageway.

Our guide took off down the dark passageway. It was narrow and hard to see, and I was afraid that I would miss a turn or something and smash into a wall. I was also pretty sure that our guide would jump out at us. We got to one part of the tunnel that just looked creepy. I thought, “If I was our guide, this is where I would hide.” So I stopped. I was trying to psych myself up for walking into the trap, when our guide jumped out from behind us and grabbed BSA, who screamed like a little girl.

The restaurant is dark, but it's all set up like a ninja village.

The tables are all set up like little houses, with sliding doors. Cute eh?

All the servers are dressed up like ninjas, and the menus are on scrolls. We both ordered the five course tasting menu.

My first course was the clam bombshell. It came with Gruyere fondue, and the server pointed out that I had no clam on my plate. He showed me another, which had this enormous clam sitting on a pile of white crystals. There was a fuse trailing from the crystals. He lit on fire, did a whole ninja hand sign thingy, and then the crystals caught on fire with a bright flash, and as the flames burned the clam slowly opened, showing the tasty meats inside.

It was AWESOME.

I had a ninja crab ball that was disguised as a household plant, (very difficult to eat with chopsticks), we had sushi, and BSA got some pork dish with squid ink that made it look scary. All dark and slimy. Like something you would eat with fava beans and a nice Chianti. It tasted good though.

Our fourth course was steak, and then while we waited for dessert, Mike the magic guy came by and gave us a magic show. He was very entertaining. Then for dessert, I had a chocolate ball, and inside was strawberry mousse, cake and chocolate pudding. BSA got a chocolate mousse and strawberry dish that was served with a rose and dry ice.

It was very cool.

Fortunately, my ninja training allows me to remain calm under pressure, and also to agree to tip a generous 20%.

Actually, we asked our server if we could take her picture and she said "Wait a sec," and disappeared (how ninja-y!) We thought maybe she went to get one of the big ninja guys, but instead she came back with that short sword and stuck it right up to my neck.

2 comments:

W.W. said...

Very nice. I think that you had fun. What about the next day.

Nanette said...

What a great way to celebrate!