Thursday, March 13, 2008

Good Food Friday - Page 1

My good friend Nan has started Good Food Fridays on her blog, and asked her friends to participate. I believe all you have to do is post a recipe, and then talk about it.

Unfortunately, most of my recipes look something like this:

1. Boil spaghetti noodles
2. Put Prego “Garden Variety” Spaghetti sauce on top of noodles
3. Dinner!

It gets even worse on Fridays, where it looks something like this:

1. Go to restaurant
2. Read menu
3. Dinner!

I went to our shelf of cookbooks for some help. My first thought was Rachel Ray, but then BSA reminded me of the unfortunate “Stoop” incident. A recipe so awful, that my subconscious has repressed all memory of it except for a vague shuddering recollection of a pot full of something red and lumpy. So instead, I’ve picked the “Pig-Out” Collection of Recipes from the Lincoln, NE 4th Ward Relief Society.

For Good Food Fridays (which will probably never happen on a Friday, but it’s the thought that counts) I’ll pick a recipe from a page, going through it in chronological order.

Since I’ll be napping tomorrow in preparation for the Leg Warmers concert in Maryland, I’m doing my Good Food Friday tonight.

Page 1
Appetizers & Beverages

Eggnog

2 c milk
6 eggs
¾ c. sugar
¼ tsp salt
1 c milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp rum extract (or imitation rum flavoring, or rum, or whatever)
Nutmeg

Now I know what you’re thinking, that’s a Gaston-level amount of eggs. I only made half the recipe, because there’s only 1 of me. But if you find yourself surrounded by 12 outlaw bikers whose rage can only be cooled by a big cool glass of eggnog, then by all means make the whole recipe.

Directions:
Heat 2 cups of milk in a medium saucepan, just until hot. Set aside. Beat eggs, sugar, and salt. Slowly whisk the milk into the egg mixture and return to saucepan (I whisked the eggs into the milk, right into the saucepan, it didn’t seem to make any difference) Cook slowly over low heat, stirring constantly for 15 to 20 minutes.



This is important. If you don’t beat enough, or if it heats too much, you might suddenly get something that looks like really runny scrambled eggs. My solution to this little problem was to beat it silly.


Beating it silly

Once your done stirring, remove from heat. Stir in the 1 cup of milk and vanilla. Refrigerate until chilled. Before serving, add rum extract and sprinkle with nutmeg.

I don’t have any nutmeg, so I’m going to sprinkle mine with ground Cardamom, which is similar to nutmeg, but I like it better.

My eggnog is still cooling, so I’ll post an update when we actually try it (you have to refrigerate it for several hours.) Some of you who may have been around me during the holidays, or at least long enough to hear me refer to eggnog as a “nice big glass of holiday snot” may be surprised by my choice of recipe. Well, it was the only one on Page 1 that wasn’t hot, and it’s too warm to make hot cocoa or cider.

2 comments:

W.W. said...

So how did it turn out.

Nanette said...

Hey! cool! Thanks for participating!