Saturday, March 29, 2008

Good Food Friday- Page 2

Page 2 of the Pig-Out Recipe Collection leaves us squarely in the Beverages portion of Beverages and Appetizers. Today’s recipe is “Slush Mix.”

1 lg package of strawberry Jello
4 c. sugar
4 c. water
1 (6 oz) can of frozen oj
½ cup lemon juice
1 (46-oz) can pineapple juice (seriously?!)\
1 (46-oz) can apple juice. (Do they even make cans this big?)

Obviously, this recipe has a ward social in mind, or possibly, the D-Day invasion force. I cut it drastically. I used a small package of jello, cut the sugar and water in half, used a full can (12 oz) of oj because, honestly, what am I going to do with a half can of frozen oj? Then I used a 12 oz can of pineapple juice, and 12 oz of apple juice.

I couldn’t find any frozen apple juice. Has canned apple juice gone out of style? Or is my grocer deficient? We may never know.

Here’s the directions:

Combine jello, sugar, and water in a saucepan. (A really big saucepan) Heat until sugar is dissolved. Add orange, lemon, pineapple, and apple juice. Put this mixture into a plastic container and freeze.

To serve: Remove from freezer one hour before serving. When mixture is slushy, pour into punch bowl and add ginger ale or 7 up.

Mine is still freezing, but once we serve it up I’ll let you know how it tastes. It’s a bunch of fruit juice and a load of sugar. How could it be bad?


UPDATE: hmmm, it's gooood. Sweet though. Really sweet. I bet you could get away with not adding any extra sugar and it would just fine.

No comments: