Sunday, March 02, 2008

Penelope

I really liked this. It's hasn't been getting a lot of advertising which is a shame. It's a modern fairy tale about a girl who's born with a pig nose and it's great.

Let's see if I can't find a preview. Ah, thank you, Youtube:



It has the same charming tone that Pushing Daisies does, with the narration and the bright colors. It also has a really good message, and parts of it are just hilarious. I definitely recommend seeing it.

I also saw Spiderwick, which I liked, but was a little more frustrating. I spent the whole movie saying "Why doesn't he just leave the Stupid BOOK in the STUPID HOUSE!! How many times does he have to be told!!"

But maybe that's just me. :)

5 comments:

Kristen said...

i want to see penelope SO BAD! eee! i agree about spiderwick.

what about Sunshine? have you read it?

Nanette said...

OK. OK. I'll see Penelope.
As is customary with all books, Spiderwick wasn't as good on film as it was in print. I was pretty scared though. I'm glad I saw it on a date and not as a family!

corbeau said...

I still haven't read the Spiderwick books, probably because they seem like such tiny things for like 10 bucks. Granted, I haven't checked them out in awhile, so maybe the price has come down.

I liked Sunshine. I like Robin McKinley in general, The Blue Sword is one of my favorites. I was surprised when she wrote a vampire book, but glad she finally broke out of the Beauty and the Beast rut.

Seriously, she re-wrote that story like three times in a row. Then said that little story fairies made her do it.

Anonymous said...

i like her books, but i hate that she refuses to write sequels to anything. retell the same story yes. but no sequels and the claims its not up to her. annoying

Nanette said...

DO NOT buy the Spiderwick Cronicles! It's a rip off! You have to buy all five or however many there are for the complete story. Each book is like one chapter! Now THAT is the most profitable way to sell your novel! Don't you have a library?