Wednesday, January 28, 2009

More Snow

Since it was all icy and snowy this morning, I was hoping work would give us a two hour delay, but no such luck. I went outside 20 minutes early to get my car started, only to find it covered in an ice sheet.

I drive a Monte Carlo, which has two enormous doors, and when they freeze it takes a lot to get them unstuck. I took my de-icing spray and started squirting all along the door edges. Halfway through the third pass the de-icer went squirt, squirt, trickle, dead.

Crap.

Then I tried to use my keys to break some of the ice, but it was too thick. There was only one thing left to do.

I backed up on our icy parking lot, and then ran/slid/fell onto the door. Wham! Crackle crackle crackle.

I tried the door but it was still stuck.

It took two more kamikaze runs on the main part of the door, and two more on the hinge area, but I finally got it open. Took me half an hour.

Once I got the car started I looked at my ice scraper, and then at the sheet of ice covering everything, then I went back inside and watched the news for 10 minutes. I'd already called in late, so I figured why not warm up a bit? Plus I was all wet from using my body weight as an ice chisel.

When the car had warmed up I took the ice scraper to it, which is cool but these enormous sheets of ice break up and slide off the car. Like my own little arctic ocean making parking lot ice bergs.

It was still another hour before I made it to work though. The roads were a mess.

3 comments:

W.W. said...

Kamakazi dives at the car I will have to remember that one. I just usually used my fist, but the running and getting a head start would have been great film footage!! Stay Safe!!!

tiff said...

So, I've shut an ajar door with my hip before, but never done the body-as-battering-ram thing. Did you bruise?

Also, I'd like to hear more about your diet. Because you cannot be doing all this Krav and car smashing if you weren't healthy, right? And I need some tips, cause Krav would probably kill me.
Share your secrets....

corbeau said...

Not from the car, although I did get wet. Krav bruises me.

My diet is actually pretty bad, I have a rampant sweet tooth that demands copious amounts of sugar. That's one of the reasons I have to work out so hard. I'll write a whole post about it for you though when I get home.