Tuesday, March 27, 2007

300

Friday night I met a friend at the theater to see the new TMNT movie. I got there early, and since the weather has finally turned nice, sat out on a wooden bench in front of the theater to wait.

I sat back, enjoying the cool dusk air, people watching, sitting in companionable silence with the total strangers sharing my bench.

Suddenly, the theater doors opened and out strode a group of young men, I'd say 17ish, the kid in front yelled "SPARTA!!" and proceeded to tear his grey tank-top off his body. His friends cheered him on, yelling the "Oo-aa, Oo-aa" Spartan chant from the movie as they walked to the parking lot.

A moment of silence as the we few on the benches stared at each other. Finally a lady across from me says "I wonder what movie they saw?"
Everyone laughs, now we're all friends! The commentary continues:
Her guy says, "Man that movie makes people crazy. Come out tearing their clothes off, yelling and screaming"
Girl further down,"Yeah I don't want to see that movie."

Unfortunately, at this time my friend showed up and I left my bench. Even though I didn't get to continue the discussion on the merits of 300, I already knew I disagreed. Such a strong response to a movie from others makes me want to see 300, even though I know it will be way too graphic for my tastes.

Thank heavens for You Tube. Now we can all enjoy 300--PG version.



Best Line: "Tonight we dine in Heck!!"

Update: TMNT, not as bad as I thought it would be. At the end, the kid sitting next to me stood up and announced, "Leonardo is the Man!"
That pretty much sums it up for me too.

4 comments:

W.W. said...

My friend Sarah has the comic book, I just looked through that and of course got the full low down on Sparta livly hood on the history channel. I think this is why boys today still will go up and hit a girl they like, it is a left over from the Sparta Nation.

corbeau said...

It's an excellent comic. Even if it never gives the Athenian Navy their props.

W.W. said...

Dont worry the History Channel covered that one. Not to mention who should really get the credit.

Kristen said...

E,
can i admit that i am looking forward to seeing TMNT? and that i'm kinda frustrated that it's been out for two weeks and I still haven't seen it? sigh.

was hoping a little that you would meet "this guy" while you were here, and that you two would hit it off, but he's gone harrying off to Berlin to work on Speed Racer.

still looking forward to your visit though!

didja get Runaways this week? Joss did 'em good. And Buffy #2 was even better than Buffy #1. And before I have written a novel here, I'll stop. :)