Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Restaurant Week: Taberna del alabardero

Its restaurant week again!

Last night we went to Taberna del Alabardero, a Spanish restaurant in DC.

I started with spinach mushrooms crepes, which were really good, then went with semi-boneless quail and green beans.

I went with quail because I don't have it very often, and because I am up to the challenge of eating tiny birds with tiny bones using only a knife and fork and trying no to embarrass myself in a very nice restaurant by accidentally flinging little bird bits across the room.

For dessert I chose the house flan, with came with almond creme and a little raspberry sauce. It was amazing. I also got to try a bit of the desserts from my friends. One had gotten goat cheese and apple mousse, I just wanted to try the mousse, it was different, but good.

BSA and DFL went with the bread, olive oil, chocolate, and salt dessert because how could you not? First you take the bread, which was soaked in olive oil, dipped it in the chocolate, a rich sort of mousse/pudding thing, and then added a bit of salted vanilla ice cream.

It sounds weird, but it was good. Lots of different flavors that managed to blend together quite nicely.

2 comments:

Nanette said...

Wow! You go to such fancy schmancy places!
Sounds. . . yummy, but I'm not sold on the bread dessert. I'd have to try it myself.

DFL said...

I was good, I can testify. You know, the whole sweet/savory mix. But I also like M&Ms with popcorn.