Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Bad Poetry

So I found a website where they have a contest to write a short story on a random topic that can only be 100 words long. The topic was "horse racing" and I thought it would be fun to try.

Somehow I ended up with a poem. Don't ask me how. I have dark, traumatic memories of being forced to write poetry in school. And I remember that I wasn't very good at it.

So consider yourself forewarned.
Here's my 100 word poem.

**************
She was going to the races
And she needed a hat.

And that was that.

But not just any hat.
A fabulous hat.
Not one tall, or wide, or phat.
An Audrey Hepburn hat.

A hat dripping with feathers and trim
Shaped like a pancake
Bright red roses sewn to the brim.

Or stark in black, white, and gray
With sharp crisp lines
Cresting her head like ocean spray

A hat with moxie
A hat with style
A hat to hide
The loneliness for awhile.

She was going to the races.
She would need a hat.

And that was that.

3 comments:

W.W. said...

Are you saying you would like a huge Grandmother hat, or are you looking for the huge My Fair Lady kind of thing?

Anonymous said...

c'mon....c'mon dover! c'mon.....! c'mon dover mover your bloomin.....

corbeau said...

Dude it was story...er poem. It's not about me.
Although judging by the sites I looked at, you can pretty much put anything on your head and call it good at the races.

Although I will always have a soft spot for My Fair Lady hats. 8)