Wednesday, April 04, 2007

American Idol Roundup

Actually, I don't have one because I haven't seen it yet. Sorry. I'm behind on my tv watching, as this is a week of culture for moi.

I'm part of this program called Generation O. Basically, it's the Opera's attempt to replace their clientele before they all die off. So if an opera has a lot of seats open, I get an email offering tickets at half price, because I'm a "young person."

It is awesome.

Monday we saw "La fille du regiment" a light comedic opera that I thought was pretty funny, although the first half tended to drag in places. Basically, it was set in France just after WWII. A regiment found an abondend baby girl and adopted her. So basically, every man in the regiment is her father. This makes for a great song where the girl's boyfriend has to go and ask for her hand from all of her "papas" Of course, once that little hurdle has been taken care of, they find out that the girl is the long lost child of the local heiress, and she gets whisked off away from the regiment and her lover.

Since this was a comedy, in the second act after a lesson in deportment, our heroine has to be restrained from throwing herself in the orchestra pit. I don't know why this struck me as being so hilarious. But it did.

Also, in one number, a maid in the background stole the scene by dancing with her broom. I love it when the background people do that.

Yesterday, we went and saw a show by the Phildelphia Dance Company, or "Philadanco"
It was all right. I'm a bit of a philistine when it comes to dance. My reaction to one of the nubmers was "oh, it's like a really elaborate game of duck, duck, goose!"

No comments: