Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Loreena McKennitt

I went to her concert last night and it was amazing.

She played at DAR Hall (Daughters of the American Revolution) which is a suprisingly large venue. I really liked it. Spacious, with cozy, star upholstered seats, they had the lights dimmed and a light dusky mist made it seem like twilight in England.

When it started, it was just Loreena and a harp. Her voice was amazing. As the song progressed, the orchestra joined in, and they were very good as well. In every song, she played something. Harp, keyboards, accordian, or the baby grand.

What's funny is that she has this soft spoken, shy speaking voice "I traveled to a small village in China to research the um, you know, red headed mummies discovered there, and while I was there, I um, lived with a nomadic Mongolian family for awhile, and it inspired me to write this song." And then she belts out this amazing song.

Also yes, she does some pretty serious research into the Ancient nomadic Celtic Tribes.

She's a historian! Who plays the accordian!

Admit it, you want to see an Irish woman totally rocking out on an accordian. :)

Bonny Portmore gave me chills, as did The Bonny Swans, but my favorite song was The Highwayman.

Now I've been familiar with The Highwayman since Elementary, when Anne of Green Gables performed it (in the movie) and then my little sister and I looked it up in my big sister's Big Poetry Book. Plus I have LM's CDs, so I have it set to music as a ballad as well, and I have listened to it many, many times.

Yet, as she was playing it last night, I found myself holding my breath and leaning forward with tension. I also found myself wanting to yell out, "Don't go to the Inn, Highwayman, It's a trap!"

It's a trap!

And then the tot-a-lots started.
And I was like "Ohmygosh! What is Bess going to do?"
And the rational part of my brain said, "You know what she's going to do. You've heard this poem a hundred times."
And the part that was listening to the music said "But what if she doesn't do it this time!!"
Rational Brain: "The poem hasn't changed"
Music Brain: "Isn't she late??!! What if she's changed her mind??!!"

You'll be relieved to know that Bess came in right on cue, and I was able to breathe again.


Loreena played songs from all her albums. During the second half, all the lights were red, and they lowered some cool lanters, the cello sounded two long notes and the audience went wild. (It was a really good song) I love it when classical performers get their props.

6 comments:

Kristen said...

aaaarrgh! jealousy is eeking out of every single pore in my body!! getting online to see if she is coming to LA...

Kristen said...

....wow those tickets are expensive.

corbeau said...

It's totally worth it, and still cheaper than the Opera! And it's cheaper than many touring pop concerts.

Do it for your pores. Your poor, jealousy-leaking pores!!

W.W. said...

I believe she said Pore. I didnt know you came from a single cell family. Glad you had fun. Know you need to learn to play different music instruments besides the trumbone.

corbeau said...

Whatever for? I'm not a professional musician.

W.W. said...

You could try that out for a new hobby you'll never know.