Wednesday, June 13, 2007

All About Eve

I netflixed this movie so I can educate myself on all those classic movies you're supposed to see, but somehow never do. (Spartacus, I'm looking at you)

It was pretty good. Longish, with a creepy stalker vibe that builds up slowly and makes you sit through the whole movie just to make sure that at the end, creepy antagonist girl gets hers. (She does.)

Moral of this movie: It is never to early for a restraining order.

Anyway, Bette Davis has some nice, sarcastic one liners in this movie. But what really struck me was her appearance in the very first scene. They're all sitting around a table at an awards ceremony, and Bette Davis is sitting there, with her enormous, heavy lidded eyes and her mean face on, and it hit me. Bette Davis looks like an enormous bird of prey, perched in an evening dress, waiting for the opportunity to swoop and kill.

I expected a dead rodent to show up on her plate at any moment.

I really need to become a little more familiar with my DVD editing software, so that I can upload awesome screen captures to accompany posts like this.

It's on my to-do list.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love Bette Davis. i totally take her side on the Joan Crawford vs. Bette diva war. i saw this once...years ago and havent been able to watch it again, because its just one of those movies. My favorite Bette movie is Now, Voyager with The Man Who Came to Dinner coming in second.