Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Hellboy: Blood and Iron

I've netflixed the Hellboy cartoons and I have to admit that I like them. There's only two out right now, but I hope they make more, and not just because I crack up every time they show a full shot of Hellboy.


I mean look at those teeny little legs! I know it's the animation style, but still, everytime I see them I'm expecting them to snap at any moment.

Blood and Iron features team Hellboy against the Blood Countess or, as she's apparently known in animation circles, the Creepy Vampire Lady of Monstrous Big Hair.

I couldn't even find a screen shot from Hellboy that had both her face, and all of her hair. Hopefully this suffices:

Just picture it as an enormous black rectangle continuing off screen.

And for comparison purposes, the Blood Countess from Vampire Hunter D:


Big hair aside, the story is pretty good. Ron Perlman is a great Hellboy, plus he has all the really great lines. My favorite from his fight with Hecate: "Lady, I was going to cut you some slack because you're a major mythological figure - but that? That's crazy talk. Now leave me alone!"

This movie also has the greatest conversation about office pastries in movie history. Unfortunatley it's not on IMDB yet. So you'll just have to take my word for it. (I could transcribe it, but that is WAAAY too much work for a cartoon review)

Of course, the real reason to see any Hellboy movie? Abe Sapien.

2 comments:

W.W. said...

I am sorry I thought I left a comment on this last night. The picture of Hellboy is hilarous. It is like being drawn completly anotomically wrong. Scarry.

corbeau said...

They're good cartoons. I think you'd like them.