Friday, October 26, 2007

Friday Fun-- Sans Video Again

Sigh...my list of possible Youtube funnies grows ever longer. Someday, I'll be able to watch them.

But until then, here's an awesome recipe for Salted water for boiling.

Be sure to check out the reviews.

I haven't read all 776 of them, but the ones I've read so far have been hilarious.

Found via Metafilter.

UPDATE: I can't help myself, here are some of the awesome reviews:

From a new cook:
mbarnstein from the reisterstown valley I am unsure what type of salt to use. Sea. kosher or another that i am unware of? Also, pictures , diagrams and maybe even a video could be useful in making this easier to understand..

Not all reviews are positive:
Cook from boston, ma after a few spoonfuls, my whole family agreed that we had had enough, and we ended up tossing the rest. what a waste of perfectly good water and salt.

But people try to help:
A Cook from Philadelphia, PA Boston, Did you boil the water? It really helps bring out the flavor of the salt.

A Helpful Hint on prep:
kmennie from Ottawa A solid four-forker. Finally, a vegetarian entrée the omnivores love as well. NB: A mise en place really helps speed up the prep work.

HA HA HA!!
ciacontra from Evian, France Like any recipe, this one is only as good as the ingredients you use. To make my SALTED WATER FOR BOILING I collected the individual snowflakes as they fell fresh from the winter sky. As I was concerned that the output from the local smelting plant might taint my water's purity, I was forced to go miles away from town, high into the mountains. The fact that it was July did not make it any easier, as I could only collect a a pint or so a day. By Fall, however, I had enough to get started on this delicious dish! Fortunately, as I daily trekked through the forest and into the mountains I collected the sweat from my brow. Upon my return each day I wrung my towel into a bottle, collecting the precious salty drops. I treat my body as a temple, so I figured my sweat would be holy. By the the time the leaves started to turn, I knew it was time to begin to extract the precious salt. I boiled it for hours and hours until I had several tablespoons of my holy salt. One of my neighbors banged on the door, shouting that I'd made the entire apartment building smell like feet, but I ignored them. They just didn't understand. I bottled my precious snow water and holy salt in champagne bottles and vacuum packs, respectively, and aged them in my wine seller for several years. How many, I am not sure, my landlord committed me after the foot-smell incident and they kept me heavily sedated. However, I tricked them and soon was back on my path to SALTED WATER FOR BOILING. At Christmas, I had over two dozen people over. Though they offered to bring side dishes and wine, I told them no thanks. I had a special treat in store. When I served the glorious culmination of all my efforts, I was shocked. They all left. They just didn't understand SALTED WATER FOR BOILING like I do...

So Practical:
KitsaWhiska from I'mnotkidding.SaltLakeCity I tried making a huge batch of this and freezing some for later. It not only freezes well, but can be reheated and taken to work for lunches when I'm too busy to make it fresh. I'll definitely make this for the next wedding shower I'm in charge of. If only I could buy this at fast-food restaurants. Goes well with Cheese.

Even celebrities like it:
Eyreka from Valencia, CA As Nicole Richie's chef, I prepare this on an almost daily basis and she can't get enough of it! She likes to pair it with a bottle of 1999 Valium, but I think a 2000 Percocet would go just as well.

Make it for the folks:
A Cook from Arizona I have searched every website on the net for the perfect recipe to prepare for my MOTHER-IN-LAW… and thanks to you, Epicurious, I have finally found it! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I am planning on doubling the amount of salt in the recipe.. does anyone know if this will work?

I hate seaweed too:
penguinjo1 from Pac NW OH MAN! I wish I had found this years ago! All this time I had been treking to the beach to get my salt water! I'm so glad I can make it at home now! Sea weed might be healthy for you but man does it get stuck in my teeth!

Here's one for Halloween:
A Cook from Rosemary's Baby This worked quite well for an exorcism we held last night, though I found I needed a double batch to really get out the demons.

One for the Hipsters:
jtfortin from Milwaukee, WI I read somewhere that Thomas Keller, Jean-Jorges Vongerichten, Daniel Boulud, and Mario Batali all have used this recipe at their restaurants with great success so I decided to offer it too. I decided on deconstructed salted water on my menu. On a plate I provide a small tea pot of water, a few tablespoons of kosher salt, and a sterno can. It is up to the customer to create their own "salted water" experience.

Ewww:
madameblue from Redmond, OR I was out of salt, so instead I siphoned four gallons from my salt-water fish tank. Not only did this save a step, but I found that the Moray eel bouquet added some interest. If you try this, be sure to test the salinity of your tank first.

Snarky:
A Cook This was just awful. I followed the directions exactly, but just ruined my stove. I went to MarthaStewart.com and HER recipe said to first put the water in a pot. It just goes to show where cutting corners will get you.

This was just too poetic to pass up:
from woods hole, MA This heavenly recipe, ambrosia from above, rejuvenates the senses, especially in one who ails from an apoplexy of the spirit.... add a dash of oyster sauce, and you'll feel like you're in the briny blue sea....

2 comments:

Nanette said...

Thanks! I needed a good laugh. And I read every ONE of those reviews! How funny!

corbeau said...

I'm glad you enjoyed them! I hope everything went well and that you're feeling better.