Monday, October 01, 2007

I Dream of Chess

Last night, I dreamt that I had to outwit an evil mastermind by playing on an enormous chessboard.* This is the kind of thing that happens when you watch Sherlock Holmes.**

Although I feel cold, tired, and everything hurts, so it could also be that this is what happens when you watch Sherlock Holmes and then become ill.

That's called deductive reasoning.

I learned it by watching Sherlock Holmes.





* I was losing. Even my dreams, I can't see more than two moves ahead.

**For the curious, it was "Sherlock Holmes Faces Death," staring Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce who (whom?) I consider to be the definitive Holmes and Watson. Sherlock finds a buried treasure vault by solving a chess riddle on an enormous chess board. He doesn't "Face Death" per se, but he does get beaten at fisticuffs by a plump, middle age doctor/psychiatrist.*** Which is just embarrassing really.

***Turns out Holmes threw the match in order to secure a confession! That Holmes. He's crazy. Crazy like a fox!!

1 comment:

W.W. said...

You should start playing all those lovly mystery games you love so much. Nancy Drew. I was always a The Three Investigator fan myself.