Thursday, October 11, 2007

Metro Gymnast

When I'm going home, if I hit all the lights just right I can get on an earlier train and it's not so crowded.

If I miss it I catch the next train 7 minutes later. You'd be surprised how much of the rush hour crush increases within that 7 minutes.

So last night I was walking down the escalator (it was broken) and I see the early train, and the conductor is giving the "Stand clear doors are closing" warning. But he's still at the beginning, and there's no one on the escalator, and no one on the platform, and I thought "I can totally make it."

So I started running. Raced down the escalator, slid around the turn, took a few running steps and then leaped towards the car, sticking the landing with a triumphant "HA!" just as the doors slid close.

(If the doors catch you, they hurt alot. I learned this during a less successful jump on the train attempt)

Anyway, all the people sitting around the doors swiveled around to look at me, and the guy sitting across from the doors burst out laughing. Probably because he could see my victorious "I made the train!! Take that Metro!!" face.

I was little embarrassed at being stared at, so I made my way, non-chalantly of course, to the front of the car and sat down.

I snuck a peek behind, and the guy was still watching and laughing at me.

4 comments:

Kristen said...

i really love this post! i wish i could have seen it. i bet you made that guy's day!

Nanette said...

Forget about that guy's day, you totally made MINE! I'm still laughing! What amazing super powers you have!

W.W. said...

And you thought I was the super Hero!! Congradulations the surgery worked.

corbeau said...

Thanks, it's my mad ninja skills. :)

I can actually run a mile and a half now. I run it slow, at a 12 minute mile pace, and it takes me a couple of days to recover, but it's way more than I could do before the surgery.