Thursday, May 24, 2007

Fun with History

Here's a great site that allows you to learn all about the mummification rituals of ancient Egypt.
Mummify Seneb.

In my Ancient Near East class, I had a friend that mummified a chicken for a class project. She even made little canopic jars and a little sarcaphogus for it.

Unfortunately she didn't get to do the brain removal because you can't buy a chicken that still has its head at the grocery store, and she wasn't about to pluck and slaughter one herself.

I fully concur with her on this. Any animal I used for school came to me pre-dead.

Here's an intersting thought. Since she would have had to stick a rod up the chicken's nose to get to the brain, do chickens even have a nose? I guess they have those little holes in their beaks, but I don't think they could be used as a realiable access way for brain removal.

Nuts, that's going to bother me all day.

Historians. We're morbid little suckers.



Found via Metafilter.

1 comment:

W.W. said...

Okay that was cool. I built my first mummy. It had to be a gross and smelly process.