Tuesday, May 29, 2007

SYTYCD: NY

I love me my acronyms.

The thing I like most about So You Think You Can Dance?

They have no Paula equivalent.

Sure, Crazy Mary is, well crazy, but she is perfectly willing to tear into people (ie., ballroom dancers) who aren't up to standard. None of this, "You look lovely" or "You seem like a wonderful person" nonsense.

Case in point: Dancing Derrick. He was the very first audition, and after extensive interviewing about his padded resume, DD got up on stage, and in front of all the other contestants and on national television, had some sort of high-velocity fit set to music for 60 seconds before nearly passing out. This made Crazy Mary laugh like an evil Disney villain through out his entire audition review.

Seriously. I haven't heard such gleeful pleasure at another's misfortune since Maleficent's "And now you shall deal with me, O Prince, and all the powers of Hell!!"

*Cackle Cackle*

I'll admit, his strange and truly awful dance had me frozen, staring in horrified fascination at the screen, desperately wanting yet unable to hit the FF button on the DVR. Until that awesome Crazy Mary cackle freed me. Then of course, she just kept laughing, which made me laugh and so I STILL couldn't hit the FF button. Well played, SYTYCD. Well played.

So Crazy Mary plus Evil Disney Villain= Scary Mary.

4 comments:

W.W. said...

Like I have learned from so great historian, everything is in the way you present it. Disney can so have a totally dark side given the right presentation. I mean look at your 5 second Lion King.

corbeau said...

Ha! That was hilarious. I love the "Hide your Children" bit. It cracks me up.

W.W. said...

Yeah I will never look at Mary Poppins as the sweet nanny thing she is. It was Disney that made the Hand that Rocks the Cradle. (I have never seen it) But this was just warming up for them.

corbeau said...

I never had a problem with Mary Poppins, but the scene where the pack of bankers go after the kids for their bright shiny nickel (or British equivalent) used to creep me out.

I still can't watch that song.