Monday, May 21, 2007

Inflat-A-Rat Sighting!!

Since I work in downtown DC, I've grown accustomed to the fact that anyone angry enough to string a couplet together is going to come down here to do their marching and chanting. This is much less interesting than Dictator's neighborhood, which I have nicknamed "Action Movie Row" because it always seems to be catching on fire, having rogue buses crashing through buildings, being completely rerouted for state funerals etc. and, quite frankly, my commuter stories just can't compare.

"So there was another fire? Well I passed three different groups of angry marchers/chanters. They were angry. And marching. AND chanting. In VIETNAMESE."

So I'd become rather blase about demonstaters, but then last year I passed a group that had an enormous inflatable rat. Allow me to repeat in case you haven't fully realized the awesomess that is, Inflat-A-Rat. Enormous. Inflated. RAT.

I like to think that when it's not being used for demonstrations it's having tea with the inflatable gorillas and dancing plastic figures you see at car lots.

Anyway, since that first memorable sighting, I've noticed that Inflat-a-Rat pops up here and there, pimping at any demonstration that feels passionately enough about their cause to shell out for him.

Today, he makes his first appearence of the 2007 demonstration season, looming over traffic at 11th and G. He was placed perfectly so that the roofs of city buses pass just under his menacing claws. His teeth are bared and his giant beady eyes seem to communicate that he would happily rip the top off the bus and snack on the contents, but he has a tea date later.

1 comment:

W.W. said...

Maybe he is just looking for his huge junk yard to go through. I always think of Charlettes Webb.