Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Pirates 3: A Review

Pirates 3 takes a more serious turn than the other pirate movies, setting its new, darker tone right out of the gate by executing some adorable moppet in pursuit of the fascist state.

Seriously.

However, it still has its silly moments, plus some awesome sight gags sprinkled throughout the movie.

The story is a little confusing but, much like Spiderman 3, you'll enjoy this movie if you don't think about it too hard. Although, if you do want to try to follow the plot, I recommend some sort of score card so you can track of who happens to be backstabbing whom at any given moment.

On the other hand, who goes to see a Pirate movie for the plot? You go to see the absolutely gorgeous visiual spectacles of ships cresting sand dunes, the land of the dead, and adorable granite crabs.

The big finale, which features the Black Pearl and the Flying Dutchman having a full-on sea battle while circling each other in a giant maelstrom was a thing of beauty. It also featured Captain Barbosa at his best, most piratey awesomeness.

This film has made me a die hard Barbosa fan.

Pirates 3 also has the greatest wedding ceremony ever put on film.

Sorry Princess Bride. You'll always have a special place in my heart, with your soprano priest and castle seige, but the Pirates 3 wedding has you both outswashed and outbuckled.

Oh yeah, at 2 hours and 45 minutes, you'll want to adjust your beverage consumption accordingly.

3 comments:

W.W. said...

Plus you might want to stick around to the very end, pass the very long line of credits to see the end. Now you will have to go because I know how it ends.

Kristen said...

We did not stay until the very end! How stupid were we?! I could not believe it when I realized! Luckily Nanette's husband filled us in - but I'm thinking I might just have to see it again...I'm with you on being a die-hard Barbosa fan now.

corbeau said...

Isn't he awesome? I want to cultivate his evil/insane laugh.

I also failed to stay past all the credits, but it just makes me wonder, is Elizabeth Swan spending her entire life on some remote spit of an island with her only human contact being once every ten years?

That's just wrong! Especially when she could be spending that time as King of the Pirates. Lucrative AND fun!