Thursday, April 17, 2008

Good Food Friday--pg 4

It's really really late I know. So late, it's gone around and back out the other side and now I'm actually posting early for Good Food Friday.

I should actually be going to Krav tonight, but my allergies are so bad that I've decided to stay home and wait for my face to stop feeling so puffy. Besides, it's hard to punch things when you're sneezing constantly. I could come away with a nickname like "BioHazard"

Help me Tylenol Severe Allergy and Sinus Congestion. You're my only hope.

So, Page 4 was all about the lemonade. The recipe for last week was mint lemonade. Basically, you mix some lemonade and then put in some mint flavoring.

Badda Bing. Badda Boom. Mint lemonade.

I actually prefer a little later in the summer, when the mint is fresh, to put in some stalks for about half an hour or so, and then it's awesome.

I was thinking about trying one of the frozen lemonade slushy recipes, but I couldn't find many of the ingredients, and my alterations have reached the point where I'm afraid I'll create the Frankenstein monster of lemonades if I actually put it all together.

You want to know what I was actually doing last Friday?

I was at a German restaurant. It's called Cafe Mozart, and it's this little hole in the wall restaurant in DC. You have to walk back through their little deli/grocery store to the back, where they've hidden the restaurant. It's really good. And they have an entire menu page of cakes and tortes to choose from when you get to dessert.

Anyway, I went with a bunch of friends from work, and I was joking about the hassenpfeffer, a traditional rabbit dinner that I know about from Looney Tunes.
Well Mozart Cafe actually offered it, and after a few dares I actually ordered it.
It came with german potato salad and a really thick tasty gravy. I had a little bunny back leg attached to some bunny ribs, and a piece I'm pretty sure was the neck, based on it's shape and the hard thing in the center.

Rabbits, like quail, game hen, squirrel and other small critters are a really big pain to eat with a knife and fork. You have to try to get those little bits of meat off equally little bits of bone. I was at a nice place so I couldn't just pick it up and gnaw.

The rabbit had a really interesting flavor. In texture it reminded me a bit of duck, except not as greasy. It also had it's own, distinctive gamey flavor. It wasn't bad, but I won't order it again.

Definitely didn't taste like chicken.

1 comment:

Nanette said...

You are much braver than me when it comes to food. Go Ninja eater!