Sunday, April 13, 2008

Mr. Bean's Holiday

My brother recommended this movie to me, and it was pretty funny. Mr Bean wins a trip to France, but the only French he knows is "oui" "non" and "gracias" My favorite part was when he was in a French restaurant, and he's just saying "oui" to whatever he's asked, and the waiter offers him something called "The Fruits of the Sea" and then brings out this enormous bowl of ice, with a bunch of dead sea creatures, all in their shells and puts it out in front of him.

I thought this was especially funny, since it once happened to me.

My roomies and I went to a French restaurant in Alexandria called Les Galois. It was winter, and soup sounded really good to me, so I ordered the bouillabaisse, which is a seafood stew.

Now usually, in the restaurants around here, they bring you the bowl, and in the bottom there's a mound of all the good stuff that's in the soup. Meat, veggies, whatever, and then the water dramatically pours the broth in over the top. It's very entertaining, and that's what I was expecting them to do. Instead, they brought me this enormous soup bowl, full of shrimp, mussels, and clams, all still in their shells.

At the bottom of the bowl were two enormous chunks of fish, each big enough to be an entree in its own right, and I didn't realize they were there until halfway through the soup, because of all the shells on top. It was an interesting soup. A lot of work to eat.

I just started piling shells on my breadplate after getting the meat out of them. At one point, DFL asked me, "So how's the soup?"
I said, "I don't know. There are too many dead animals in the way."
To which she closed her eyes and said, "Can't you just call it seafood?"

They also didn't appreciate my puppet show, wherein Bob the shrimp head searched the bowl for his bottom half.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

that's it. i am never, EVER going to a french restaurant.

ever.