Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Good Food Friday--Vegetable Nut Pate

I think by now we all know that I'll always be posting these late.

We're finally onto page 5! We leave drinks behind and enter the fascinating world of appetizers. I know my roommates are glad. You’d think I’ve been torturing them, the way they whine about having to consume fancy drinks once a week.

So, on to the pate, which I would like to point out, is NOT the easiest recipe on the page. (I’ve been getting some ribbing on this as well from roomie TSA (The Starving Artist)

1 ½ c cooked green beans, chopped
(You know those green beans you think you have in the cupboard? Now might be a good time to double check on that. Be sure to check behind the pop tarts.)
-A happy bonus to this ingredient? After you’ve added it to the dip, the rest becomes Tuesday Night Dinner. Mmmm.
2 hard boiled eggs, grated
(This sounded messy. I just diced mine with an egg slicer. It worked nifty keen.)
1 to 2 T. mayonnaise
Salt, Pepper, nutmeg to taste
(I don’t have nutmeg, but cardamom works as a substitute.)
¼ c chopped toasted nuts
(It never says how to toast the nuts. I put mine in the toaster oven. I recommend the “light” setting, otherwise your house smells like burnt nuts. If anyone else has a better way to do this, let me know.)
¼ c finely minced onion
1 T. white vinegar

Saute onions in a little butter until soft. Combine with remaining ingredients and chill well. Use as a dip for raw vegetables or as a pate with toast or crackers.

I will admit that once you stir everything up, it can look a little scary. It tasted pretty good though, and that’s with everything still warm. Mine is currently chilling in the fridge. So I’ll finish off my green beans and let you know how the pate tastes tomorrow.

UPDATE: Mmmmmmm, it's tasty. I had it on toast, and I really liked it.

2 comments:

W.W. said...

So are you becoming the internet Chef?

corbeau said...

Yes. The internet will tremble before my culinary might. Today, Vegetable Nut Pate. Tomorrow, the WORLD!!
Mwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!