Friday, August 29, 2008

Morning Excitement

Since I'm out of the whole education/vacation cycle, I know that summer is over when it stays dark as I drive to work.

It's hard to wake up when you're brain is convinced that it's still the middle of the night. Since it was so dark, I couldn't tell that it was overcast, and I wasn't awake enough to pay much attention to the weatherman's "light drizzle off and on all day" so I was caught completely unprepared when the heavens opened and dumped a wall of water on my car.

When there's that much water it pools on the road pretty quick, and then it sprays up as the cars pass through it, so you're getting splashed from above and below and you can't see a thing. You just have to line up behind the lights in front of you, and try not to veer.

"This is my lane. There are many like it, but this one is mine."

It was about this time that I realized that my umbrella was still at home. Sitting in my room.

Safe and dry.

Probably snuggled under the covers, reading a book and sipping hot chocolate.

Cure You Umbrella!! CURSE YOU!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Pache said...

I've been 15 minutes late to work ever day in August. (It's recess; leave me alone.) Except this day. I got to work by some miracle at 9:02. The wall of water hit DC at 9:04. Which was especially wonderful since I have lost my umbrella. I got to watch my clients come in looking like they had fallen into a swimming pool with all their clothes on. It was great. One staffer just didn't come in to work because the rain was too bad. The rain here is amazing.

tiff said...

You're starting to sound like Dr. Doofenschmirtz there..... (curse you, etc, etc...)

Have you seen Phineas and Ferb? Or are you completely past the Disney Channel?

corbeau said...

It's good to know that I wasn't the only one who spent Friday looking like a drowned rat.

Hmmm, what is this "Disney Channel" you speak of?

I usually only watch it if I'm with my nieces and nephews. Which was how I subjected to the horror that is High School Musical.

Brrrrrrr. The horrors.

So nope, I am unfamiliar with Phineas and Ferb. Good names though.

tiff said...

Uh....yeah, High School Musical did have it's....horrors. Still, in my opinion it was more inspiring than the vapid HSM 2, and looks to be better than #3, which seems to be a complete manipulating of 16 yr. old girls' bodies and the 8 yr. old girls who idolize them. UGH. Times like this I'm glad I'm raising boys....

Phineas and Ferb is a very formulaic show about two boys on summer vacation who try to make every day the best day ever. Usually by fleshing out incredible schemes (building the largest roller coaster ever, time traveling, etc.). Most of this occurs in their backyard, their sister is always trying to bust them for it, and things always miraculously (to the sister) disappear in the end. The boys have a pet platypus that, unbeknownst to them, is a secret agent, and battles the evil Dr. Doofenschmirtz every episode.

That is probably so much more than you care to know, but somehow I think this show is hilarious. So does Jake. And of course my kids love it. The writers are extremely clever and make formulaic work every time, and they usually pull in stuff that only adults would get.

I have no idea if you'd like it, but....