Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Dog Pile!

This week in Krav, we're focusing on ground fighting.
So my teacher says "Get in groups of 4!"
I find myself in a group with three guys.
The teacher says "3 of you get a kick shield"
My three partners, all being gentlemen, run to the back of the room to grab the big shields.

"Now" says the teacher "I'm going to impress upon you how much being on the ground sucks" and then we learned how to wiggle out of a dog pile.
"The person without the shield lays on the ground, then the three with kick shields lay the shields on you, then lay on top of it. One over your shoulders, one on your middle, one on your legs."

I looked nervous.

My three guys looked apologetic.

As I lay on the ground, the instructor continued to instruct, my guys got heavier, and I became concerned about breathing, until he finally gave us the go signal.

I'm sure it will come as a surprise to no one that I shot out of there like a greased weasel, bounced a few steps, then asked if someone would hand me my shoe back. I was also the first one out of all the groups to succeed in getting out.

That's what happens when you combine the simple mechanics of elevating and rolling the hips with the sheer mind numbing terror of claustrophobia.

Greased. Weasel. Power.

2 comments:

tiff said...

Ugh. That gives me the shivers....I'm claustrophobic too. Is Krav mostly full of guys, or do you have some female support in there?

I think Krav sounds awesome, though. You must be FIERCE! So cool.

corbeau said...

It's mostly guys. There were more girls, but I haven't seen them in a while. There was one other girl there Wed night.

If I pass my level test, there will be even fewer girls for me to spare with. But I will be even FIERCER!

Level 2 seems to involve more fight training, so hopefully I'll pass my test, and then hopefully I won't get my trash kicked.