Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Sweet, sweet lunch hour

How do I love thee?

Today I really wanted to try something new, so I got a deli recommendation from one of the other ninjas (along with some directions) and went in search of a new lunch experience.

I got a really good sandwich. It started out as a BLT; a quick swipe of mayo, followed by thick fluffy lettuce, tomato slices, and two pieces of bacon that appeared to have not only come from an actual pig, but where also thrown in a frying pan at some point in time. (I enjoy McDonald's breakfast sandwiches, but their version of bacon is some weird stuff.)
On top of that were fresh slices of avocado, and then a heaping ice cream scoop of egg salad.

Served of course, with a quarter sliced dill pickle. I didn't see the guy wrap it at first, and was bitterly disappointed at this breach of the deli code. Serve a sandwich without a side pickle? Madness!!

It was a really good sandwich, and totally worth yelling "I'd like a Yankee Doodle on White!" over the busy counter.

I think delis come up with sandwich names just so they can giggle when a suit comes in and says "I'd like a Big Momma on Rye" or "I'd like a Young Republican without onions."

That's my theory anyway. Deli menus, crafted with humor.

On a slightly related note, I think my local CVS has been taken by the enemy. What else explains the total lack of ho-hos or fireballs? Obviously the inventory was raided by rival ninjas in order to break my spirit. Who can face the dreaded drudgery of a Wednesday afternoon without snacks?

That's how you end up like this guy.

No comments: