Friday, September 14, 2007

Weekend Plans

I actually have some!

I got free tickets to the Nationals-Braves game tonight from one of the samurai at work. It'll be the first game I've been to this season, and they'll be nice samurai seats, so that'll be fun.

My favorite part of the baseball games out here is the Presidential Race. They have guys dressed up like Washington, Lincoln, Jefferson, and Roosevelt, with those enormous mascot foam heads, and every game they have a foot race.

It's hilarious. It usually comes down to Washington and Jefferson, as Lincoln's top hat makes him top heavy (imagine trying to watch a guy run as his head slowly leans backward, acting as a huge wind drag.) Roosevelt has the same problem, but on a horizontal plane.

Roosevelt has never won. His poor watermelon shaped head always throws him off balance, so when he runs he tends to zig zag, as his enormous melon drags him from side to side. Meanwhile that dandy Jefferson with his aerodynamic wig tends to shoot ahead, winning the majority of the races. I heard that on opening day Roosevelt actually rappelled down a zip line from the roof of the stadium to come in first.

Saturday I got tickets to the National Opera's opening night gala of Puccini's La Boheme.

They're prime orchestra seats (down by the stage) and the invite said "dress to impress"

Since all my dresses are "church casual" (ie, they're nice because they're not pants!) I'll have to go dress shopping.

I don't mind though, I think the gala will be a blast.

3 comments:

W.W. said...

I want details.

Anonymous said...

i've always wanted to know about La Boheme. it seems to be the opera of choice in hollywood movies. there are some amazing arias in it. i'm excited for you TA.

corbeau said...

The music was wonderful, the staging was based off Rent. The WaPo knocked them on that. It would have been nice to have seen it in its traditional format, but since I've never seen Rent, the modern stuff didn't bother me too much.