Thursday, September 27, 2007

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I stayed up late last night finishing Ptolemy's Gate, the final book in the Bartimeus trilogy.
And then once I did finish it, I ended up watching Top Chef. (This is one of the perils of reading in the living room.)

So I didn't get to bed until after midnight. Makes for a long, slow, sleepy day.

This book was different from the other two, primarily because our favorite wise-cracking djinni spends the book in a seriously weakened state. At one point, Bartimeus can only hold the shape of a "pyramid of slime." He still does his best to brag and boast, but it's tempered with more serious, reflective, and even humble moments.

I thought the book did a great job of tying everything up (except the fate of the evil Ms. Farrars. What is this "presumed dead" nonsense. We all know that means she's alive and well, and probably relaxing on a tropical beach while she plots her evil return. Presumed dead. Feh) Although the ending was much different than I thought it would be. Hence why I had to finish it.

It was very good. I love Bartimeus, and I enjoyed learning more about him, his past, and djinnis in general. Although I missed the fun of his exploits and battles, not to mention the constant observational sarcasm (the footnotes are my favorite) I think it was great book, and an excellent conclusion to the series.

And as for Top Chef: Casey didn't get eliminated! Yeah!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i liked this book a lot. i'm not sure about the ending, i really wanted nathaniel to be less annoying sooner. bartimaeus is a great character. i'm sad its not a seven book series of his exploits. the footnotes and his philosophies made me laugh.