Thursday, January 10, 2008

King Cake Monday

Monday, my team decided to celebrate Spanish heritage and Three Kings Day. I don't know if you guys ever celebrated this, but it's to celelbrate hen the Three wise men, or kings found the baby Jesus (it took them a while to get there, that's why it's 12 days later, or the 12 days of Christmas)
When I was small, my grandparents had three cakes, and you dipped the pieces in chocolate and ate it, and one of the cakes had a baby baked inside. If you find the baby you have good luck for the rest of the year.

I was happily eating my cake when I found myself chewing on a little rubber pig (I guess they couldn't find a baby) so then I had good luck for as long as I could keep my jealous cousins from stealing it.

We decided to celebrate this momentous holiday at work, because then we could talk the Spanish girl on our team into bringing Paella for all of us. But it became a huge party. We ordered a King Cake from New Orleans, and it came with beads, a parchment telling the King Cake story, and Mardi Gras coins. It had green, gold, and purple dyed sugar on it. The beads were also green, gold, and purple.

Green for faith, purple for justice, and gold for power. Guess which color of beads I chose.


First thing in the morning we cut into the cake. We decided that we wouldn't email the rest of our coworkers about it until after someone on our team had found the baby.

I took a small slice with yellow sugar on top. It was really early, so I wasn't ready for a big piece yet. "Don't take that one. We know the baby isn't in that one. It's too narrow!" (Everyone was trying to find the baby by looking at the side of the slices.) I took my piece back to my desk, cut into it with my spoon (we couldn't find any forks) and a little tiny baby head fell out of my cake.

Fortunately, it was still attached to the body, which was still buried in the cake. I started laughing, and now I have a creepy 1 inch plastic baby (they poked tiny little pupils in his eyes, and he's anatomically correct) hanging out by my computer.

No comments: