Thursday, January 03, 2008

Krav!!

Yesterday I went to the first class at my new Krav school. I was a little worried, because the people in the class before mine weren't even sweating. The thing I liked best about Krav was that it provides such a great workout, so I was concerned.

About halfway through my class, during a flurry of hammerfists, not only was I sweating, but I started feeling like I was going to puke. "Ah ha!" I thought, "It's not the school, they're just LAZY!"

It also hurts when I sneeze, so I'm pretty sure that all my muscles got a good workout.

Anyway, I got to learn a takedown. My first. My sparring partner got to go first. She had her hand on my face, and pushed backward, but I didn't fall, I just stepped back. (I wasn't about to throw myself down. That doesn't help anybody.)

The instructor came over. "You're doing it wrong" he told her helpfully, "do it like this." He put his hand on my face, gave a slight push, and suddenly I was folding backwards like a cheap church chair. The instructor was nice enough to catch me before I hit the floor, and that's how I found myself in a full fledged dip.

I haven't been dipped since Utah State, where I was into ballroom. So suddenly finding myself in a dip struck me as funny, and I started laughing.

The instructor probably thinks I'm nuts. "I just knocked her down, and she's laughing about it."

3 comments:

Nanette said...

ballroom? You were into ballroom? seriously?! You have so many layers!

corbeau said...

I was the cha-cha queen.

I also learned many swing lifts. Such as the egg beater, and the duster. I occasionally did flips, and occasionally got dropped. Ballroom floors are dang hard.

W.W. said...

Congradulations on great first impressions. I think the instucture just decided that you have many layers.